Saturday, April 7, 2012

chocolate bunny ride (oh, geez...)

Today was Laura OLPH's traditional, annual Chocolate Bunny Ride for the Hill Slugs, so-called because she gives out chocolate bunnies each year to the folks who complete it. I understand the route is traditional; she made it when she didn't have the hill-climbin' cred (or legs, or hardware) she does now, and most of the climbs are in the first half (although the close observer of the elevation on the route page will note a not-inconsiderable climb-and-descent between about miles 45-48).

The day started cold for our 9:00 start, but had warmed up considerably by the time the last of us rolled in at about 1:30 (I was sweeping, so I was among the last), and it was clear and sunny throughout, but increasingly windy as the day wore on (I remember predictions of wind speeds in the mid-20's, and I'm willing to believe it). We had 16 riders to start, some of whom were long-time Hill Slugs, and some of whom were first- or second-timers. Among the first-timers were a trio from Pennsylvania, who, I'm sure, will never trust me again.

Y'see, I'd promised them that they'd be able to keep up. I went back over the last four or five Hill Slug rides I'd done, and I saw that the averages on all of those rides were in the 13.5mph range - a little higher or lower, but not much. I had every confidence that we'd be doin' that pace today... but we didn't. Our average for this ride was a comparatively whippy 14.8. The newbies from the other state were puffin' at the back. I hope they don't think I was sandbaggin' 'em... but I couldn't blame 'em if they do.

Some of these roads were busy with traffic, but we were disciplined enough to stay safe, and mostly stay together. At the break (near the top of the route, just before we crossed 206), Laura got a call from a rider hoping to join us there, but circumstances worked against it, and we went on. We passed within five miles of my house, and, if it weren't for the fact that we don't have a working klitchen, I would have invited everybody for coffee - secure in the knowledge that they woud have respectfully turned me down.

As always on a Slugs ride, we had some people break off: one at first who probably didn't intend to ride the whole way with us, and then after the break, the faster folks went off the front while those of us in the back went at our own pace. One of the faster riders went looking for a place to take care of some business, and, with a missed communication, he and a couple of lookouts for him joined the slower team. We got in quickly enough behind the faster folks that they hadn't ALL left the lot, and there were enough chocolate bunnies left over so that somebody got to take some home.

On the last part of the route, I must have hit a pothole or something; I noticed that the front brake was binding, and the rear derailleur was out of adjustment (on my bike, both of those are in the right control). When I got home, I not only had to adjust the brake, but had to re-true the wheel. Still, I'm a bit concerned about that right shifter: this is the second time in a matter of weeks I've had to adjust that front brake. It's a SRAM Rival shifter set, and if youse have any ideas what might be goin' on, I'd be glad to hear 'em.

And you Pennsylvania guys -- really, we're not usually that fast!

ADDENDUM: And in other news: over 200 miles this week, and 1078 miles since the first of the year. Not bad, for a guy who works a full-time job.

1 comment:

  1. We were faster because the ride was flatter. Normally I try to pack in a lot of elevation gain for the distance. That slows us down. Today, though, I stuck to the route Cheryl and I came up with a decade ago, before we had the legs, confidence, patience, and gear to put up with climbing the Sourland Mountain twice.

    I'll never be a true B rider in the hills. If I were, I'd lose my Slug cred. I can't have that.

    ReplyDelete