Tuesday, April 17, 2012

mid-april noise

First, I'm not feeling as out-of-sorts as I was, for no reason I can figure out; it might just be that I've got some perspective. It doesn't hurt having the kitchen back together, and not having any unforeseen expenses in the past couple weeks.

Bear with me on this, because here's something else that helped: tomorrow's one of those Wednesdays off that I get, and the weather is expected to be great - just the thing for a ride with the Old Guys (see this post for a bit of an explanation). But I'm not going. See, things have gotten so close to done with the kitchen that The Excellent Wife has decided to move up her plans to have the floor done... and it turns out the most convenient day to have the materials delivered to the house will be tomorrow. So I volunteered to forgo the Old Guys and hang around and wait for the truck.

I hate to miss rides, especially since I won't be able to ride this weekend (more on that, probably, later). But this is so important to TEW that waiting for the truck appeared (and still appears) to be the best thing to do. And, having decided not to go, I'm strangely at peace with the idea that I won't get a ride in for about two weeks (which normally would make me exceptionally cranky).

Second, fellow rider Ed C has forwarded me a number of pics of the last ride I posted, and a ride on Easter on which I didn't go. I'll edit those pics (mostly grinding them down to a size that won't choke the servers or mess up the delicate formatting of this blog), and put up a few of them tomorrow. There's a great one of Winter Larry, a pretty good one of a pink-and-black Pinarello (handled by a woman I've not met, I think), a couple of goofy ones with me, and some others. It'll give me something to do while I'm waiting for the tile, or waiting for TEW to come home after the tile is delivered, or something.

Third, I've decided to try some cheap Shimano SPD mountain pedals. I've been using Look pedals since I bought my first road bike, and my fast ride is rockin' Look Keo Easy's. But I frequently have the problem that I can't get into the Keo's when I start from a stop, because they're upside down, or they've been spinning so fast on the pin that I can't kick into 'em right. The SPD pedals are two-sided, so they might be easier to hit (although they're a smaller target, so they might not). Further, mountain bike shoes are easier to walk in, and (in general) less expensive than road shoes (although they're heavier... but maybe I could reduce the weight disadvantage by gettin' more frequent haircuts, or something).

Kim's Bikes in New Brunswick has the pedals for just a few bucks more than they are online (when you include shipping), so I'm planning on dropping in on the way home and picking up a pair. I'll pop the cleats on one of my pair of road shoes, and see how they go. That will give me something else to do tomorrow - so I'm not risking lives or limbs (mine or anyone else's) by learning these pedals on a group ride.

And how's yerself?

No comments:

Post a Comment