Saturday, April 14, 2012

surprisingly large, surprisingly warm, surprisingly fast sergeantville ride

It boded not well when I got an email last evening from Cheryl, the leader of today's ride, asking if I were coming because she only thought one other person would appear; I half thought she would cancel. It boded worse when I got up this morning to frost on the cars, despite a prediction of weather in the 70's later. I put on tights, two long-sleeve thermal shirts, and a short-sleeve jersey, and brought my heavy gloves and under-helmet-cap to the ride for this morning. When I got to the ride site, I doffed the tights and donned the lighter (but still full-finger) gloves, but by the time we got back, I had switched to half-finger gloves and had the cap in my pocket, and I was wishing I had worn at least one less layer; it got that warm by the time we got back...

...from our surprising ride today. Not that the route was a surprise (although they are ALL surprises to me, since I'm so geographically-challenged), but the weather was better than I suspected, and the ride was far better attended than Cheryl had thought - twelve riders on eleven bikes (including a tandem, and get out of the way when that thing is comin' down the hill behind you!). AND we were fast: my average was 14.7, much faster than my usual in the hills (although a few riders said that this ride was less challenging than the recent routes that Laura OLPH has subjected us to). Two similarly-named riders who have left Laura's rides recently finished with us (as did everybody else, I think).

Also along was a new (to me) rider, Alf. It is not true he schooled me on the hills. It IS true that he is definitely faster than I on them. I hope he comes out more; it's good to be challenged by someone who doesn't gloat when he wins, and we can continue to be friendly even as we challenge each other.

I did the sweep thing, and a number of folks remarked on my ability to count to eleven on one hand. One of the Mike's mentioned that he thought I had a touch of OCD. Well, more than a touch; I've definitely got some features, but not the full-blown disorder... but, I said, I'm pretty close: two more ounces and I'd be standing by the light switches, flicking and counting. (My ride sweeping is partly out of a desire to help other riders, and partly out of a [possibly vain] attempt to make sure things turn out right.)

Pretty day on pretty roads. 45 miles (near as makes no difference), with some spiffy climbs (Poor Farm, about 4-5 miles in, nearly brought my morning bagels back up for re-inspection). Some have been newly-paved (don't ask me which. Aren't you paying attention? I never know where I am!), and none were as bad as some of those gravelly-downhills I've done in that area in the past.

Tomorrow, I hope to go out with Winter Larry. Kitchen's done, getting some rides in - maybe the future will brighten up.

1 comment:

  1. Jim, I"ve always thought a touch of OCD is a good thing. Mike

    ReplyDelete