Wednesday, April 4, 2012

what a day for a daydream

What a perfect day for a ride! It started out just that little bit cold, and ended just that little bit warm for the gear I had on. I met Erich, Bob W, and Al L at Etra Park in Hightstown, and rode in to Byron Johnson Park in Allentown with them for the Wednesday Old Guys ride (see the route here). We did just about 40 miles with the Old Guys (and I met a couple new ones whom I haven't had a chance to chat with yet, notably Ed, who writes software for the optics industries). Most everybody who came was in good form (one rider was tiring at the end, but we don't lose nobody). There was some uphill and downhill, some tough headwind, and enough tailwind to make much of the ride feel easy. On the way back, Bob W and Al decided to redo a little extra loop we had done on the way down, but I was hungry, and Erich decided to keep me company as I forged straight ahead. (For old guys, they're tough!) I suspect Bob and Al will have a bit of a mileage competition going on this year; they were swapping year-to-date mileage scores, and I think Al was surprised to hear that Bob had a few more miles than he.

MY most memorable part of the ride, however, was a moment I shared with Erich on the way down to Byron Johnson Park. We were pokin' along a bit behind Al & Bob, and got caught at the first light. A cute young girl in a car got the light to turn left, and, instead of not seeing us (which is the behavior I expect from such people), she gave us a sweet smile and let us cross in front of her, against the light. Erich and I marveled over that for miles. I think it's that skinny Santa thing that Erich has going on... but it might just be that the cute young thing took pity on a couple of decrepit old men with obvious dementia.

A great ride on a glorious day. You wish you had been on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment