Sunday, February 2, 2020

as advertised


Back about three weeks ago, I wrote about a ride on which I had adjusted and shortened the route because of the weather prediction; I didn't want my charges out in the rain. Well, today the predictions were less ominous, so I decided to do the route I had planned for that ride.

The weather did cooperate, and seven decided to come out, many of whom had pre-registered. We had Peter G, Tom H, Laura OLPH, Dave H, Prem R, Marco B (who brought a single-speed -- well, I was impressed and a bit shamed!), and a woman, new to me, Madhu A. Madhu had contacted me asking if I thought she could manage this ride, since I keep it low in the B range. I pointed her to some of our recent ride pages, to see the averages and climbs, and apparently she thought she'd be able to keep up. I was sure that if she started to fall back, some of The Usual Suspects, my regulars, would watch out for her.

We needn't have worried. She did fine; at some points she was out ahead, a-prancin' and a-dancin' like my noble Stewball.


We did one of my usual routes that goes end-to-end on East Mountain Avenue. As usual, I was about last.



We stopped at the Thomas Sweet in Montgomery... but Dave H decided that the pizzeria next door was a better offer for him.


The rest of us went for empty calories and caffeine, or the road food we'd brought.





At the Thomas Sweet, at the next table was this knitting and crocheting club. I think having club meetings at the Thomas Sweet is a great idea. I may go back to knitting! (I made that multi-colored neck gaiter some of youse have seen on these rides.)


Prem's winter bike:


Below, Marco's single-speed. You'd never know it from the way he takes the hills. He said there weren't any serious hills on this ride, but between Homestead Road, the hill on East Mountain, and the annoyance on Opossum, I know of riders who would happily take exception.


Ride page. I'm always surprised when I get such a group on a cold day. Maybe youse oughta come out!

No comments:

Post a Comment