Saturday, January 25, 2014

paralyzed rider uses handbike

After I posted the video Road Party II, friend Dave C emailed that one of the riders in that video, Martyn Ashton, had broken his back attempting a stunt. Dave emailed me a link to this article.


From the article:

After weeks in hospital followed by intensive physiotherapy, he has managed to begin handcycling with an adapted bicycle at Newport Velodrome. He told the BBC of his recollection of the accident."I landed and I felt the shock go through my body and I think immediately I knew it was very bad," he said...

But not content to sit on the sidelines of his sport, he said: "I made a bit of a pest of myself, emailed and phoned as many people in disability sports as I could in Disability Sport Wales and they've been really supportive.” Having tried wheelchair-based tennis and basketball, it was a revelation to take to the velodrome. "It was awesome but really hard", he said. "I'm not used to having power in my arms, but it was brilliant."
I wish him every success.

No comments:

Post a Comment