Monday, January 20, 2014

weight loss challenge - update 1

Here's where we are on the weight loss challenge:

  • Me: was 182, now 180 (barely); goal under 175
  • Dave C: was 210.1, now 206.9 (whoa!); 195
  • John D: was 145, went to 147; goal 140
 NOT REPORTING NUMBERS
  • The Excellent Wife (TEW) is on track.
Henry Murphy says he's developing a dependence on lentils that may require intervention. I've not heard from Lou or Ira.

One of the things that worked for me when I lost all that weight was the book Younger Next Year. It's an easy read, by a doctor and a guy who's done much of the stuff in it (mostly about losing weight and exercising, but also about not being a jerk or a creep as we age). It's from there that I got my three rules:
  1. Don't eat crap;
  2. Exercise hard six days a week;
  3. Keep track of your progress.
 One of the things I didn't get from there, but which is working, is being around people who support a healthy lifestyle. I have the Freewheelers to thank for that, in part, but mostly I have TEW. I never would have lost the weight to start with were it not for her.

1 comment:

  1. I think, based on the morning weigh-ins for the week, that it is hard to overcome one large sin even with many good works. The large sin was yesterday's dozen bagels eaten all by myself over the course of a long day working alone at my desk when I should have played hooky and hiked all day with the dog. Mon thru Thu: 161.5, 159.9, 159.6, 159.2, 162.9

    I think the morning after the bagel binge is apparent.

    As Poor Richard tells us, "Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other."

    Henry Murphy

    ReplyDelete