Sunday, January 26, 2014

maybe we need to be a protected class

Although I don't think I press my lack of belief on anyone, I make no secret of the fact that I'm an atheist. So this tickled me.


Evidently, there's a shoe company based in Germany named Atheist. According to this article on io9.com, packages shipped to the US wrapped with tape that says "Atheist" are problematic:

"When some of our customers asked us not to use ATHEIST-branded packing tape on their shipments, we started to wonder if the delays were caused by the US Postal Service taking offence at our overt godlessness. So," the company writes, "we launched an experiment."

The link in the quote goes to an infographic that explains the company's study. It's not scientific, of course (and the graphic is way too big to reproduce here), but I found the results telling nonetheless. From the io9 article:

Said experiment, which is recounted in detail in an infographic on the company's website, saw 178 packages shipped to 89 people in 49 U.S. States. All packages left Berlin on the same day, and each person was sent two packages. The first was sealed with ATHEIST tape, the second with neutral tape. The result? Boxes sealed with ATHEIST tape were ten-times more likely to go missing, and took an average of three days longer to arrive than neutral-wrapped packages.

"Having run a series of control tests in Germany and Europe, which demonstrate no such bias," the company writes, "the problem appears to be in the USA and is likely explained by the differential handling of packages by the employees of the US Postal Service."

Great. It's not bad enough that soccer moms and gun-totin' football enthusiasts in SUV's want to run me over and leave me to die because I ride a bicycle. Now they want to steal my property because I'm an atheist.

Can I afford to move to Sweden? (Would they let me in?)

No comments:

Post a Comment