Saturday, January 11, 2014

weight loss challenge

Friend Dave C has uncovered the preliminary notice about this year's Tour de Franklin, and has railroaded me into leading another Princeton Freewheeler team. We've both been overindulging (I, for one, can't blame it on the holidays; I've been doing it for months), and we want to get back down to reasonable weights.

Dave suggested a weight-loss challenge, and I've agreed. If you want to get in, send me an email or post in the comments. Here's how it's going to work:
  1. The challenge will run between now and May 4. That's a week after the Tour de Franklin, and you'll see why that date in a bullet item below.
  2. Participants will set their own goals. This will not be a "Biggest Loser" contest.
  3. Participants are on their honor to report results accurately.
  4. Participants may use any non-surgical, non-pharmacological weight loss techniques. No liposuction, no cocaine, no methamphetamine. Supplements, probiotics, vitamins, and the like are allowed, as are caffeine (in coffee or tea) and theobromines (in chocolate; lets not get too strict). In case of dispute, I will make the decision about whether a substance is allowed or not; expect that the DEA schedule of drugs, the PDR, and various lists of performance-enhancing drugs will be consulted.
  5. Determination whether the goal has been achieved will be in this manner: participants will weigh in daily each day between April 27 and May 4, 2014. If the average of those weights is at or below the goal you set for yourself, you will have achieved the goal. This is to offset the problem of having an outlier day on the day of the weigh-out; the likelihood of so many outlier days in a row is minuscule. No limits for high or low weights during that time are being set.
I'm setting my goal to be trending back below 175 by the end of the challenge. If you want to get in, let me know. If you want your name listed, I'll do that; if you want your name and goal listed, I'll do that. I can report on progress, if you like (and if you keep in touch with me).

Anybody in?

1 comment:

  1. Eileen and I are on a weight loss mission. She is motivated by an upcoming trip to Florida with some of the kids and her sister and her family. I am motivated by the fear of having to buy all new clothes.

    Speaking for myself, between injuries and Christmas/soltice/New Year parties, I am now a few pounds over 160. Say, subject to daily fluctuations: Now ~= 163 Goal ~=158. How is that for taking a stand?

    Best, Henry Murphy

    ReplyDelete